Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Personal Discipline, Corporate Grace



One of the most tangible benefits of preaching is that it is helping me to grasp the power of intentional and prolonged meditation on God's Word. A week ago I preached on Hebrews 12:3-11 for a sermon titled "A Father's Discipline." During the time of preparation, prayer, study and meditation God helped me to grasp the powerful encouragement of being disciplined by our Heavenly Father. After acknowledging the suffering that is present among the recipients of the letter, the author extols them with a chapter about faith and a challenge and calling to "run the race with endurance."

The reality is that is that the race of faith can be exhausting, especially in the midst of trials & hardships. With this in mind he then encourages his readers by talking about discipline. The reason is beautiful and profound. We are disciplined by God because we are his children! This turns our trials on their head; making them a mark of assurance and means for our holiness. As I prepared the message I was challenged to think back on how I respond to such loving discipline. Particularly, do I respond with faith and joy, trusting that my Father disciplines me in wisdom and only with my good in mind. During the preparation and preaching of this message I was challenged to think about how I respond when I face these personal trials.

This Sunday my senior pastor Rick Gamache picked up where I left off and took my meditation even further in Hebrews 12:12-17. He highlighted that the Greek utilizes the definite article in this passage rendering it, "12 Therefore lift the drooping hands and strengthen the weak knees, 13 and make straight paths for the feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed." The exhortation now becomes corporate encouragement. Simply put, the encouragement and faith building of my Father's discipline is not an occasional experience reserved for my personal trials. I am also called, along with the body of Christ, to come along side my suffering brothers and grant them the corporate grace to finish their race.

What an encouraging passage. First, my trials reveal that I am a son of God & are meant for my good and holiness. Second, I know that I do not face the hardships of the race of faith alone, but that the body of Christ exists to strengthen me when I feel overwhelmed. And finally, that I have the opportunity to display this kind of corporate grace to those around me that I witness in the midst of trials.

The sovereign wisdom and design of our Father is good indeed!

No comments: